Saturday 5 January 2013

Lectures on Art & Photography • Monday 3rd December 2012

When I studied at my Foundation Course in Fine Arts in the early 90s at "Konstlinjen" at Studieförbundet Vuxenskolan in Malmö. My two teachers there, Jan-Åke Andersson and Dimitar Rangachew inspired me to lecture. Since I graduated and moved from London back to Malmö I have since then been lecturing every year at different universities, art and design schools, extra curricular courses, museums and societies.

The 19th of December 2012 I lectured at Islamic Center in Malmö. Here is my Facebook Status Update I did on that same day.

"Im lecturing quite often. The other day I lectured at Islamic Center in Malmö. 
I enter a room full of young women/girls. They are all wearing headscarfs to avoid showing their hair. Some of them 
are wearing their outdoor jackets ..indoors. I walk up to the front of the room, plug my computer into the projector and click up the first image of the slideshow.
The photograph is black and white and shows a sunny day at the horse racing track. It´s the 4th of June 1913 and it´s the Grand Derby at Epsom outside London. Most of England´s nobility and royalty are present.
The photograph is a quick snap-shot and in the foreground the photographer has captured the event of the day. It is the horse of King George V …frozen in mid air, falling to the ground with the legs and hoofs up in the air and the body just hitting the track. Above the horse a womans derby hat is in the air. Under the horse, Emily Davidson is just about to be killed by the weight of the horse. I talk about the image and that the person being killed was a Suffragette, a womans right activist who sacrificed her life for womans right to vote for parliament.


The whole room is dead silent. I click to the next image ...look at my watch ...and now there are 42 minutes and 36 images left about; democracy, freedom of speech and freedom of religious views, womans rights, anti organized crime, anti violence etc."




My photo of Islamic Center, Malmö after the lecture

Photo of King George Vs horse falling on suffragette Emily Davison at Epsom Horse Racing, London 1913

No comments:

Post a Comment